Saturday 13 July 2013

Hot day for a cycle ride

New House is surrounded by wonderful Herefordshire countryside, and as it was hot, I thought a cycle ride round the lanes might be a good idea.

The view from Perrystone Hill and our church :
The Herefordshire countryside is always beautiful, but as a lazy cyclist who only really enjoys cycling downhill (or the flat at best), I get off the bike frequently to push it up hills that real cyclists would just laugh at. So sometimes, I wish the county was a little less undulating, but the roads and back-lanes have no traffic, so it's a joy to cycle (when going downhill).

It was the hottest day of the year, so even the horses were sheltering under an ancient oak :

I stopped at peaceful Kempley to admire their 1903 craft-movement church. It contains some great renaissance statuary, and I loved the lattice window with it's beautifully-engineered opening panes and painted wooden beams :

On the way home I passed the 'old forge', decorated with the cogs and iron the craftsman used to bash-out or repair in the place :

Am I glad New House is located deep in Herefordshire ....despite every good downhill having an uphill!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment