Sunday 20 January 2013

Going back a few days

Whenever I am traveling, I love to visit an art gallery or museum. I abandoned my visit to Heimtextil in Frankfurt and I went to the Schwarze Romantik - von Goya bis Max Ernst (Black Romantic - Goya to Max Ernst) exhibition at the Städel Museum, which is on the banks of the Maine along with many of Frankfurt's great galleries and museums.

The walk to the Städel and my bad photo of the Museum itself :
Germany has always been the Capital of Gothic - and did I love Schwaze Romantik? Well no. There were too many eerie paintings of graveyards, paintings of the dead, witches chopping up babies, ghosts and scenes of evil devils for me. But I did loved the mix of Goya, B & W early film, William Blake, Füssli, von Max, and many others. It was an eye-opener and not a 'safe' exhibition. I doubted that many UK galleries would attempt such a scary, non-boxoffice-safe exhibition - Well Done to Städel!  
As well as the Black Romantic exhibition, I enjoyed many of the other paintings on display, especially the Expressionists (like Kirchner or Otto Dix).

No comments:

Post a Comment