Monday 30 July 2012

Olympic fever at New House

I'm no great cyclist myself, but my Claude Buttler and I do sometimes make the trip into work. It's a nice trip through the country lanes, but my main gripe with Herefordshire is that it's all hills and no flat bits. While going downhill is fun, I wish I could find a route (there and back) that avoided all uphills.

Because a good chum lives a short bike ride from the Olympic Cycle Road Races at Box Hill, I couldn't resist going along. this was the Brits leading :

A few more cyclists charging by, and I couldn't believe how fast they went. Unfortunately I'd only got my little Panasonic, and as it's a great camera in many ways, the processing speed wouldn't win a lot of Olympic medals. So I got loads of pics of empty tarmac, as the riders had long gone by the time the camera had done it's stuff.
By good coincidence, Paul Morris a chum from the Blind Industry (who runs a business called Love Your Blinds in the West Midlands) was cheering on the other side of the road :

What was new to me was that in cycling races, there's often a following white van called 'the broom'. It's there to sweep-up the riders who've fallen too far behind. Everyone gave this rider from Iran a great cheer as he was on his own and at the back. I never saw him again, as I think 'the broom' was about to offer him a free ride and a lift home :

The lady's race on Sunday was also pretty exciting :

But it didn't half rain :




No comments:

Post a Comment